• LEED AP BD+C, Leader in Energy and Environmental Design, US Green Building Council
• CSBA, Sustainable Building Advisor, Sustainable Building Advisor Institute
• Biomimicry Specialist, Biomimicry 3.8
• Founding Member, Biomimicry NYC
• BBEC, Building Biology and Environmental Consultant, International Institute of Building Biology ™ and Ecology
• Candidate for Passive House Certification
• Candidate for International Living Building Challenge Certification.
Prior to starting her own architecture studio in New York in 2000, Ms. Welton served as Director of Concept Architecture for Sony Development, as Senior Designer for Walt Disney Imagineering, and Senior Architectural Designer at Vito Cetta, Randy Washington Group Architects and Planners, all in Los Angeles. She and her team recently placed third in the International Living Building Challenge Aleutian Island Home Competition and second in the Hudson Valley’s Cragsmoor Association Design Competition – incorporating Living Building Challenge principles including net zero water and energy into affordable smaller prefab homes.She lectures widely on Sustainability, Biomimicry, and Resiliency and initiated the NYC|SBA Sustainable Building Advisor Program where she serves as Field Director for SBA Projects. She recently joined the Viridian Future One Project where she is spearheading the LEED, Living Building Challenge and Passive House aspects of what will be the “greenest” Brownstone Renovation in NYC- aspiring to LEED Platinum and LBC Red List Materials and the Passive House EnerPHit Standard.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS and MEMBERSHIPS
- Licensed Architect: New York, California
- USGBC: Member US Green Building Council, Program and Education Committee Member, NY Upstate Chapter
- LEED AP BD+C: LEED Approved Professional: Leader in Energy and Environmental Design, Building Design and Construction, USGBC
- Urban Green Council: Member
- AIA: Former Member of the American Institute of Architects
- BBEC: Certified Environmental Building Consultant; International Institute of Building Biology™ and Ecology, Clearwater, FL
- CSBA: National Certified Sustainable Building Advisor, Lead Instructor SUNY Ulster and NYC|SBA
- Biomimicry Specialist: Biomimicry Institute 3.8
- Biomimicry NYC: Founding Member
- PHAUS: Passive House US, Member and Certification Candidate
- NYPH: New York Passive House Institute, Member
- ILFI: International Living Futures Institute, Member
- 2013: Tiny House Competition, Special Recognition Award: Aerie House design for a
Net zero energy and water, renewable energy house prototype designed with Living Building Challenge imperatives, Tiny House Competition by Cragsmoor Association, Cragsmoor NY.
- 2012: International Living Aleutian Home Design Competition 3rd Place Award, Cascadia, Aleutian Housing Authority, and International Living Building Institute: Orca House prototype for a biomorphic, net zero water and net zero energy, renewable energy house for the Aleutian Islands, Alaska designed with Living Building Challenge imperatives.
- 2007: Conscious Design Recognition Award, International Conscious Design Conference, Parsippany, NJ
- 1993: AIA Merit Award, Step up on Second Street, Joint Venture Architect, Santa Monica homeless training and residential hotel , The American Institute of Architects, San Fernando, CA
- 1988: Grand Laurel Design Award, Sr. Design Architect- Multifamily Residences, Randy Washington Group, Santa Monica, CA
- 1985: Gold Nugget Award, Sr. Design Architect- Multifamily Residences, Vito Cetta / Randy Washington Group, Santa Monica, CA
- 1983: Architecture Thesis Award, University of Colorado Graduate School, Denver, CO
- 1982: Robert K. Fuller Scholarship Award, AIA Colorado Society of Architects, Denver, CO
SHOWS and COMPETITIONS
- 2013: Cragsmoor Association Tiny House Competition, Special Recognition Award: Aerie House design for a net zero water and net zero energy, renewable energy house prototype designed with Living Building Challenge imperatives, Cragsmoor, NY
- 2012: International Living Aleutian Home Design Competition Exhibit – 3rd Place Award, Orca House, ILFI, Living Future Un-Conference, Portland, OR.
- 2010: Practice-The Ram Dass Library @ Omega Institute, Faculty Show, Opalka Gallery, Sage College of Albany, Albany, NY
- 2008: AIA Design Award Entries, AIA Eastern New York Chapter, Albany, NY. The Emerson Spa, Mt Tremper, NY, Duhl Residence, Woodstock, NY, Ram Dass Library, Rhinebeck, NY
- 2008: Building a Sustainable World, the Royal British Institute of Architects, California Chapter Competition, Los Angeles, CA
- 2002: The Ram Dass Library at the Omega Institute, Winning Architect, International Architectural Design Competition, Rhinebeck, NY
- 1974: Mint Museum Craft Biennial: Metal Sculpture, Charlotte, NC
- 1972-74: Annual Student Art Exhibitions, Metal Art and Wearable Sculpture, Anderson Gallery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA